About Me

My photo
I'm going to jump right into it. I intend to change my lifestyle. That change starts with my fitness. I've been mentally preparing for this change for awhile and this is one avenue for me reaching my goals. This blog is for the once beautifully fit who let it slip away when adulthood kicked in and team sports + college went away. It's about bringing sexy back and I'll detail ALL the ups and downs, struggles, embarrassment, humor, etc. that it takes for me to change my lifestyle. I am accountable to myself, my husband, and YOU readers to succeed. If I inspire ONE person beyond myself to become more active than putting the spoon of Ben + Jerry's in/out of their mouth, then I have succeeded in more than one way.

Popular Posts

Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Go to a Beer Fest and Not Gain 30 lbs

BUSTED! 

My darling husband finally had a day off of work (thank you US Marine Corps) so I decided that he needed a fun day...and what better way to have fun as a 24 year old than to have your wife take you to the Northern Virginia Brew Fest?! 

I know, I know, it sounds like a huge trap for those trying to get fit; however, I'm going to tell you how I managed to feel relatively good about myself and my decision this weekend.

5 how to's for a beer fest
1. Know that you are not going to get wasted. This should be a no brainer, but it's so easy to get carried away when the music is pumping and everyone else around you seems to be in a euphoric state of mind. 

2. Take the meaning of 'sampling' to heart and do just that. Our ticket came with 4 sampling vouchers. We purchased a few more and only 5 came my way. 9 samples sounds like a lot, right? Wrong. By the end of the long day, I had only consumed 4 total beers at approx. 408 calories. For some, this may seem like a bit, but for those that have been to a beer fest, this is barely anything of note (or compared to my husband's appetite for IPAs and other delicious micro brews). 

3. Do NOT eat the tempting carny food. This one is probably more difficult for most. The trick is to eat a healthy meal ahead of time (we had 6 in subs) and then bring healthy option snacks along to get you through the day. Smelling the sweet and salty smells of turkey legs, cheese fries, gyros, kettle corn, etc. can be so tempting-but each time we were near the stands, I popped in a few nibbles of trail mix and grapes. It was much easier to do than expected. 

4. Drink lots of water. It's hot outside and the crispy bite of a beer sounds refreshing. Opt to guzzle some water before getting your next sample. It may just keep you from wanting another. 

5. Don't stress the calories too much. Enjoying yourself releases endorphins into your system and that too, makes you more fit-mentally. Just know that you are going to work out and monitor consumption throughout the week and it will help encourage you to have a guilt-free day. Besides, getting out and about is much better than eating right and sinking into your couch all day.
Mug Shot
Love w/ all my bum,
CH

No comments:

Post a Comment