About Me

My photo
I'm going to jump right into it. I intend to change my lifestyle. That change starts with my fitness. I've been mentally preparing for this change for awhile and this is one avenue for me reaching my goals. This blog is for the once beautifully fit who let it slip away when adulthood kicked in and team sports + college went away. It's about bringing sexy back and I'll detail ALL the ups and downs, struggles, embarrassment, humor, etc. that it takes for me to change my lifestyle. I am accountable to myself, my husband, and YOU readers to succeed. If I inspire ONE person beyond myself to become more active than putting the spoon of Ben + Jerry's in/out of their mouth, then I have succeeded in more than one way.

Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tips & Tricks for Celebrations

Possible fitness pitfall = the birthdays of friends. I don’t know why, but for some reason in Virginia and the various groups I socialize with, birthday parties automatically focus on food. When you were a kid, you chose a theme and games you would like to play. Cake was a given at the close of the event (just like weddings) and sometimes other snacks and foods were around…goody bags, anyone? However, the main event was the activity.

“What do you want to do for your birthday this year Carissa?”

I promise you that not once was ‘over eat and over indulge’ one of my answers as a child.
Overeating was never on my "to-do" list for parties
Ice skating party, jungle gym party, amusement parks, etc. were the norm across the board. So why, as adults, has that changed?
Birthday Adventures
 Each weekend of August and part of the way into September, I have been invited to a birthday celebration. Here is the breakdown:

August 6: Rio Grande (Mexican restaurant)
August 13: Buffalo Wild Wings (Name says it all)
August 20: Carrabbas (Italian)
August 27: Joe’s Crabshack (Seafood)
September 3: Labor Day Weekend BBQ (Burgers, dogs, etc.)
September 9th: Birthday BBQ (Same as Labor day)

I am delighted to take part in the celebrations and at no offense to the birthday boy/girl or their party planners (spouses), I get disappointed and discouraged to read the invitation to discover that the event will be eating at a restaurant or that the main event involves eating. And what makes it worse is that I know I'm not the only one invited that is struggling to eat right and get fit; sometimes even the organizer feels overweight! It makes me feel like I'm losing a battle and they are putting a surrender flag in my hand while they wave their own. I've even seen invites that include not one, but two restaurants-one place for dinner and another for dessert! I then  have to spend money on options I wouldn’t normally go for in my own home (regardless of how delicious everything is) or perhaps the place has few, if any, healthy options. And let’s face it, ordering a salad when everyone is getting wings 5 different ways is pure torture.  Only one of the 6 weekends above includes some other activity outside of the restaurant/eating which is bowling. This is often the scenario throughout the year and if it’s not eating, it’s likely drinking. So what to do about it?

Double whammy = fattening food @ restaurant + cake

TIP ONE:
The future is in your hands. Make your birthday or suggest your friend’s celebration is an activity. Go paintballing, skydiving, bike ride in the park w/ a picnic, hike to a cool spot, go to the beach. Basically, try something new and adventurous. Going to the movies doesn’t count as there is a train wreck of calories beckoning in the theatre lobby (unless you sneak in some granola and grapes instead) and you are still sitting and melting into your seat. It is completely acceptable that while you are out at your activity you grab lunch or go out to dinner, but you are eating out of necessity at that point and not making it the focus of your event. Think about it, how many times do you actually remember or cherish memories at a restaurant? Or if you even sit close enough to the birthday beholder to even make it worth the expense? Your friends may be reluctant at first for going out of the norm, but I promise you they will remember the experiences more than the indulgences.
You don’t hear:
“Remember those fries at Red Robin three years ago?”  
But you WILL hear:
“Wow that zipline place we went to for so and so’s birthday was awesome!”
I implore you to change these norms towards healthier and more fitness related options. I believe your guests would appreciate the change of pace from sitting on their bums doing nothing. J


TIP TWO:
Even if you have an at-home party, skip the chips and dip and go for fruit and yogurt, do a veggie platter and make other healthy options available for your guests. Don’t order pizza and fried food but instead make mini deli sandwiches. And if you are going to a potluck, spend the extra cash on something you would be pleased with eating instead of going for cheap cokes and $2.00 bags of chips.

TIP THREE-NINE:
Still have to go out for someone’s bday celebrations? Scared of ordering the wrong thing and sabotaging your fitness lifestyle habits? Check out a few of my tips and tricks which are sure to make you feel better, not bloated, when you leave the table and return home.

3.       Do an online menu check. Know what you are ordering ahead of time so you can make healthy choices. You can easily Google the restaurant and find nutritional information on the entrée of your choosing (sometimes the restaurant offers the information as well).
4.       Skip the bread/chips at the restaurant. They’re unneeded and unwanted calories/saturated fat and you’ll end up eating more than you realize when you aren’t paying attention.
5.       Skip appetizers. You’ll find that more often than not, these additional calories are just as much as your meal.
6.       Ask for dressings, etc. on the side. Try the salad without the dressing and see how it tastes. Sometimes the protein or fruit are flavored well enough that you won’t miss the dressing.
7.       This is my TOP TIP: ask for a to-go box immediately when you receive your food. Before eating the main dish, put at least half of it in the to-go container. Since many restaurants are out of control on portions (seriously, sometimes a family of 4 can eat one meal!), putting away at least half of it will keep you from nibbling even when you are full and will help shrink the portion back to healthy levels. This is the main part to feeling guilt-free when you leave the restaurant. If you made a decent decision on your entrée selection, you will feel great and having something to look forward to the next day with leftovers. I often find I have enough sauce from the night before that I can add extra veggies, rice/pasta to the dish and have enough for both Neal and I for dinner. Doing this will also make purchasing the meal more economically sound and budget friendly.
8.       Try eating your meal with chopsticks. I carry them in my purse and no matter where I am, if I eat with chopsticks, I eat slower and therefore, less food. Even without chop sticks, eat SLOWLY. Enjoy the conversation with others. It will allow your food to settle and send messages to your brain that you are full.
9.       Eat your veggies first, your protein second, and the starch last. Like I said last week, it’s possible that by the time you get to the rice, you will be full

So there you have it. My version of fool-proof tips and tricks for celebrations. Now it’s up to you to make them fool-proof. I’ll be utilizing these tips at the celebrations I attend these next few weeks-how about you?

Talk with you soon!

Love w/ all my bum,
CH

p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my August friends, specifically Sarah, this month! I heart you :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment