About Me

My photo
I'm going to jump right into it. I intend to change my lifestyle. That change starts with my fitness. I've been mentally preparing for this change for awhile and this is one avenue for me reaching my goals. This blog is for the once beautifully fit who let it slip away when adulthood kicked in and team sports + college went away. It's about bringing sexy back and I'll detail ALL the ups and downs, struggles, embarrassment, humor, etc. that it takes for me to change my lifestyle. I am accountable to myself, my husband, and YOU readers to succeed. If I inspire ONE person beyond myself to become more active than putting the spoon of Ben + Jerry's in/out of their mouth, then I have succeeded in more than one way.

Popular Posts

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Goodbye November and 25 @ 25 weeks

As 25 closed to an end, so did my age of 25. This week I not only celebrated Thanksgiving, but also celebrated my birthday. I was actually pretty decent in my eating habits over the events and felt great to not be amongst the average American who consumes 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day. It's difficult to imagine stuffing all that food down my throat and even more horrific to think that the average American DOES. Wow...this, my friends, is the society we live in. Fact.

Let's hop right into the weigh-in:

Weight Day One: 207.8
Percent of Body Fat: 44.3%
BMI: 34.2
Water Weight: 40.6%
Weeks to Meet Goal: 73

Weight Week 25: 170.6 (down 37.2 lbs)
Percent of Body Fat: 36.8% (down 7.5%)
BMI: 28 (down 6.2 pts)
Water Weight: 46.1% (up 1.1%)
Weeks to Meet Goal: 36

My overall analysis for a little bit of weight gain this week is taking a break from strength training for a week as well as having 4 days off from cardio. But, I will say that I am pumped in the sense that I did not eat terribly and have affirmation in that what I do to get fit works. 

Looking forward to my 26th year, it would be great to be in a place that has me fit in all aspects of my life. And there really is no better time than the present. After I complete the Hot Chocolate 15K this weekend, I'm likely going to start looking for a half-marathon to register for the late-spring/early summer. For those non-runners, a half-marathon is 13.1 miles while a full-marathon is 26.2 miles and pretty much everything else aside from Iron mans, triathlons, etc. is always a numbered K (for kilometers ran) like 5K, 8K, 10K, and 15K. It would be cool to do a destination run (maybe somewhere by the beach) but doing something around the DC monuments would also be a great experience. I think it's funny that I am already looking for the next distance goal-we'll see how I feel after this 15K! And I would be proud to say I ran a half...not everyone does that and it seems like there is a large step between 15K and 13.1 miles, even though it's 4ish miles more. I running circles and chat, I have felt like a non-runner because "anyone can train and do a 5K in a month" and "it only takes a little training to do a 15K." To the non-runner, that totally sounds like crap but for some reason, in a runner's world, a 9 miler is clearly a warm up. This is not to discount my achievement when I finish on Saturday, but it does give a glimpse of what it means to be a 'runner' and in most cases I have found the group to be somewhat snobby. "Oh yes, I did that half awhile ago and it was a decent run" -they say. Haha. If any sport could be pompous, I'd never say running would be my 1st pick, but it is slowly changing! I cannot help but feel there is always this looming judgement placed on you by your pace, tempo, overall time, and personal record (PR). Well, I'll tell you what-THAT part of running is not for me. But I do respect this hidden sense of competition between everyone. Say I ran 5 miles today, a runner would tell me they did a 6 miler on Tuesday. It's the land of one-uppers and it's a combination of frustration and amusement to 'get it.' And then I realized that dedicated runners do it solo. No one makes you pound the pavement across the finish line  at the end of the day except for yourself. You can run with groups, etc. to help motivate you but all in all-running is about the personal experience. This is such a foreign concept for me because I have always played team sports. In team sports, everything I did was to benefit the whole. My personal accomplishments were for everyone. Hit a grand slam and 4 people get home and your entire team gets points. Slam dunk-a great shot by me and 2 points on the board for my teammates. PR on a race and I feel great-no one else. This sport is a completely different mindset and learning it's jargon, etc. is interesting. This sport is also challenging in that it's truly the first sport I've ever had to work at to be good at. I thrived inn team sports back in the day and this new challenge is really motivating me to master it. The best part is is that over the course of the next year, I will get better and better...but eventually everyone in running hits their peak. For example, as time goes on, you don't take minutes off your run to where you started at 10 minute mile and over 10 years eventually get to a 1 minute mile. There is a ceiling for everyone and knowing that makes me feel less overwhelmed by this new community of 'snobby' runners. I can see a runner and know that no matter how hard they try, it's natural ability and talent that makes someone a star athlete. And that's where my most profound respect comes for runners: to know that after a certain point, you cannot do any better and yet they still go at it, still try, still run. That is incredible. 

Anyways, I cannot wait for my run this weekend as you can tell from my entire dialogue previously about the sport! I am blessed that this time around I will have some of the greatest support I have ever had from a group of people. 

As for next week-I'll let you all know how the race went (even though I could care less about my time but more about me doing the run without walking at all!). I'm also do for some picture updates so I'll either get those to you next week or the following. 

Love w/ all my bum,
CH

No comments:

Post a Comment